Child Care Reimbursement -- CDC 2023
IMPORTANT NOTE (9/18/2023): We regret to announce that the CSS Child Care Reimbursement program has been cancelled for CDC 2023. This is because the IEEE has failed to authorize the CSS to use the Society’s own funds for this program due to legal issues that have not been resolved as of this date. Although these issues may eventually be resolved over the next few months, we cannot commit any reimbursements at this time.
Program Details (Cancelled)
The Organizing Committee of CDC 2023 is pleased to announce the Child Care Reimbursement Program, made available by the IEEE Control Systems Society. CDC 2023 will provide limited financial support to parents attending CDC 2023. Grants of up to USD $500 per family are available to attendees who incur extra expenses in (1) bringing children to the conference or in (2) leaving their children at home while attending the conference.
IMPORTANT NOTE: CDC 2023 and the IEEE Control Systems Society do not sanction or recommend child-care providers and do not assume responsibility or liability for child-care services of any sort.
Eligibility and Requirements
Each applicant must be:
- Parent or guardian (registered attendee) who brings dependent child(ren) aged 12 years old or younger to the conference, or
- Parent or guardian (registered attendee) who incurs additional expenses at their home location, above normal child-care expenses, for children aged 12 years old or younger, while attending the conference.
If requests exceed available funding, preference will be given to applicants who are presenting at the meeting, are IEEE CSS members or are in early stages of their career.
Only one application should be submitted per family.
Application Procedures and Reimbursement Process
The application website opens on August 10 and closes on September 6. To apply, applicants must fill in the form here.
Successful applicants will be notified and must submit a reimbursement request form, accompanied by valid receipts indicating that the expenses were incurred, to the conference Diversity & Inclusion Chair (Prof. Christos Cassandras, firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than January 9, 2024. CSS retains the discretion to decline noncompliant requests. All reimbursements will be made after the conference.
Examples of expenses eligible for reimbursement:
- Child-care expenses at the conference location while the parent(s) or guardian(s) attend the conference;
- Additional child-care expenses incurred in leaving a child home while the parent(s) or guardian(s) attend the conference;
- Transportation expenses for a child-care provider to care for child(ren) during the conference. Reimbursement relating to a child-care provider is only allowed for an adult or relative that does not share the children’s home residence.
Reimbursement for other reasonable expenses not specifically identified here may be permitted at the discretion of IEEE CSS.
Examples of expenses not eligible for reimbursement:
- Travel expenses for the child(ren);
- Travel or other expenses related to the attendee’s participation at CDC 2023, including registration fees, meals, travel to CDC, or other expenses the attendee would already be incurring by attending CDC;
- Meals for the child(ren), toys, and entry fees for entertainment (such as tickets to museums, amusement parks, etc.).
Deadlines and Notification
- August 10: The application form opens
- September 6: The application form closes
- October 6: Decision messages about travel support recipients are expected to be sent out
IMPORTANT NOTE: Submitting an application does not guarantee reimbursement. If reimbursement is offered to an applicant, it may not cover all child-care expenses.